HT - Human Technopole
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: October 30th, 2023
About the Institute
Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary life science research institute, created and supported by the Italian government, with the aim of developing innovative strategies to improve human health. HT has the mission of conducting cutting-edge research and translating innovation into methods available to the entire national scientific community. To this end, HT is opening National Facilities that will provide state-of-the-art research infrastructure for Structural Biology, Light Imaging, Genomics, Genome Engineering, and Data Handling and Analysis.
About the position in the Image Analysis Infrastructure Unit
The Image Analysis Infrastructure Unit, part of the National Facility for Data Handling and Analysis, based at the Human Technopole Foundation in Milan seeks to recruit a Bioimage Analyst to support single-particle EM and electron tomography workflows. This National Facility will offer bleeding edge image analysis services to researchers within HT but is equally dedicated to supporting the wider science landscape in Italy and beyond. Our service portfolio includes technical consultation with users, building and deploying suitable analysis pipelines, quality control, publishing support, visualization and rendering services, as well as the development of new open-source tools.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Manager of the Image Analysis Infrastructure Unit and will be responsible for enabling our portfolio of Cryo-EM and electron tomography workflows. The candidate will work closely with the members of the National Facility for Structural Biology, which manages our state-of-the-art cryo-electron microscopy facility, as well as with other HT Core Facilities and IT and Digitization. The candidate will be directly involved in all steps of data analysis and 3-D reconstruction for single particle analysis and electron tomography workflows. They will also be responsible for troubleshooting, training and assisting internal and external users, participating in the development of new computational tools and methods in the field, optimizing the image-processing pipeline, and performing other duties as assigned. The role also comes with the opportunity to participate in research projects whose purpose is to advance the facility, as well as the opportunity to visit other members of the community of Bioimage Analysts around the world, bringing you in touch with the latest algorithms and software tools.
Key tasks and responsibilities
The Bioimage Analyst will:
- Develop, optimize, and implement EM image processing workflows, including but not limited to single-particle and electron tomography analysis;
- Develop and implement new scripts, approaches, and/or strategies to facilitate all aspects of EM data handling;
- Actively interact and discuss data processing strategy with the Cryo-EM Unit of the National Facility for Structural Biology;
- Build up effective links and collaborations within HT;
- Develop and promote networks with other national and international EM and cryo-EM facilities;
- Actively participate in the overall development of HT core facilities;
- Work and collaborate with IT and Digitization on data processing, data transfer and data storage;
- Perform other related duties as assigned to meet the goals of the facilities.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree + 2 years of industry or research experience when applying to the call;
- Background in image processing and image analysis (6+ months);
- Fluency in English – HT is an international research institute.
- Have a MSc or PhD in Biology, Bioengineering, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Physics, or a related field, or equivalent industry experience (3+ years) when applying to the call;
- Hands-on experience in 3D structure determination by single-particle reconstruction or cryo-tomography (experience with both techniques is an advantage);
- Experience with High-Performance Computing (HPC) systems;
- Familiarity with at least one established EM/cryoEM analysis software (e.g. IMOD, Relion, WARP/M, CryoSPARC, PEET, Amira or similar tools).
Organizational and social skills
- Excellent communication skills;
- Eagerness to interact with peers and to absorb and transmit knowledge from experts to regular users;
- Team player.
Please apply by sending
- a CV;
- a motivation letter in English;
- names and contacts of at least 2 referees.
Any questions concerning the role and/or queries regarding the relevant terms and conditions should be addressed to email@example.com (this email address should not be used to send applications).
Why Human Technopole
- HT seeks scientific excellence, we recruit the best scientific talents through international, open calls;
- Our working environment is international, friendly and inclusive. Our scientists work together across disciplines on research topics of biomedical relevance, leveraging synergies between their diverse skillsets and methodological approaches;
- We believe that highly diverse teams yield the best and most innovative results;
- We engage in outward-facing scientific activities aimed at benefiting the national and international research community. Training is also at the heart of our activity, with initiatives and opportunities for our staff, including scientific courses, conferences and workshops.
- Welfare plans;
- Canteen service;
- Work-life balance provisions;
- Italian language training for foreigners;
- Parental leave up to 1 year and other support for new parents;
- Flexible working hours;
- Remote working policy;
- Support for relocation;
- Researchers coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99.
Number of positions offered: 1
Hiring date starts from January 2024.
Contract offered: CCNL Chimico Farmaceutico, Fixed-term 3 years - employee level.
The position is based in Milan.
Don't forget to mention EuroScienceJobs when applying.