Professor of Toxicology with Focus on Food and Drinking Water
SLU - Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
The subject area covers the occurrence of toxic substances, both anthropogenic and natural, in soil, water, and feed, and the transfer of the substances from these sources to both food and drinking water. The exposures of food-producing animals and humans are central, as are the consequences for animal and public health. Risk assessment is of utmost importance to the subject, as a basis for measures to reduce the health risks of toxic substances in food and drinking water at the population level.
The holder of the position will be responsible for the development of research and education within the entire subject of toxicology in collaboration with researchers and teachers at the Faculty and SLU.
The applicant will be expected to:
- develop and lead internationally successful research;
- develop, lead and participate in teaching the subject to veterinary students, but also to other students at advanced-, and research education levels covering the subject;
- supervise doctoral students;
- actively apply for external research funding from both national and international sources;
- develop and maintain national and international networks with academia, the relevant public authorities, industry, organisations and society at large;
- contribute to the strategic development of the department, faculty and SLU;
- communicate research findings and other relevant information to society at large;
- perform administrative duties within the department, faculty and university;
- be able to use Swedish as the working language within four years.
Apart from teaching the subject area, teaching of basic toxicology is also included at basic levels.
The applicant must:
- have a relevant academic basic degree and a doctoral degree and have the qualifications required for appointment as an associate professor in the subject area, or equivalent scientific competence;
- demonstrate research expertise in the subject and actively pursuing research of high quality in the subject;
- demonstrate teaching expertise and have the ability to integrate research and a scientific approach into their teaching;
- have demonstrated the ability to lead and develop a successful, internationally-recognised research team;
- have demonstrated the ability to successfully compete for external research funding as principal applicant;
- have good knowledge of English.
Grounds of assessment
The assessment criteria for appointment must be the degree of expertise required as qualification for employment.
The assessment of research expertise will be based on:
- completed and ongoing research, and its relevance and development potential for the subject, as well as for the faculty and department;
- the ability to independently initiate and run successful and internationally-recognised research;
- the ability to compete for external research funding;
- experience of the role of principal supervisor in advanced study programmes and research education. As a principal supervisor, the applicant should have supervised doctoral students throughout their studies and until they are awarded their doctoral degree.
The following will be taken into consideration when assessing teaching expertise:
- planning, implementation, examination and assessment of teaching and education;
- experience of both theoretical and practical teaching at basic and advanced levels;
- the ability to integrate research and scientific approaches into teaching work;
- supervision and examination of basic and advanced courses;
- training in teaching and learning in higher education or the equivalent knowledge;
- academic teaching vision and reflection.
The following abilities will also be assessed:
- developing and leading activities and staff within academia;
- communicating and collaborating internally;
- collaborating with external stakeholders and society at large;
- communicating work dealing with research and development.
It is considered to be of merit if the applicant has documented experience in risk assessment of toxic substances in food and drinking water.
Don't forget to mention EuroScienceJobs when applying.