Staff Scientist - Omics Data Analyst
The successful candidate has strong data analytical skills, a solid biology or biomedical background and can rely on previous experience in handling and analysing high throughput life sciences data. Moreover, the candidate is genuinely interested in experimental design, analysing and integrating complex 'omics and clinical datasets, and in collaborating in a multidisciplinary environment composed of experts in protein engineering and expression, interactomics, proteomics, transcriptomics, biostatistics and bioinformatics.
The staff scientist will leverage experimental design and data analysis resources in the VIB Medical Biotechnology Center, and can build upon the Center’s know-how in bioinformatics and biostatistics as well as upon VIB’s professionally managed, state-of-the-art core facilities. The main focus will be on:
- Adapting and translating cutting edge software tools and biostatistical analyses into streamlined data analysis workflows for next generation sequencing and mass spectrometry applications;
- Tailoring them towards specific research projects; and
- Assisting PIs and biotechnologists in experimental design, data analysis and interpretation during their quest to challenge human health problems.
- Master degree or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics or equivalent;
- Knowledge in molecular biology and genomics technologies;
- A keen interest in biostatistics and experimental design;
- Highly motivated result-driven with ability to organise and prioritise workload;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Hands-on experience in a Linux/Unix environment and with scripting languages (e.g. R/Bioconductor, Python, Perl);
- Demonstrated experience in high throughput short-read sequencing analysis is required;
- Experience in high performance computing and relational databases is an asset.