Researcher - Gaseous Emissions and Soil C and N Cycling
The Department of Agroecology, Aarhus University, is looking for a dedicated researcher within the area gaseous emissions and soil C and N cycling for a four-year position.
Research area and duties
Carbon and nitrogen cycling in agroecosystems are major research themes within the Department of Agroecology. Gaseous emissions of carbon and nitrogen influence crop productivity, soil fertility and the environment, wherefore a detailed understanding of C and N interactions is needed to optimize crop management, e.g. improve recycling of manure and crop residues. The department also has an obligation to provide policy support at national scale, including a modelling approach for upscaling. Modelling and experimental activities should be integrated.
The researcher employed in this position will have responsibility for planning and conducting experiments on C and N dynamics in soil systems in connection with new and ongoing projects. A particular focus will be on nitrous oxide emissions and the microbial decomposition of organic inputs. Results from field experiments, experiments under controlled conditions and monitoring must feed into C and N balance models used within the department, or in collaborative projects with other departments. The successful candidate must also take part in teaching, supervision and co-supervision of students at BSc, MSc and PhD level.
The successful candidate must possess relevant academic qualifications and a proven record of scientific achievements at international level within C and N turnover in agroecosystems. Further professional and personal qualifications are emphasized:
- PhD degree or equivalent qualifications within agroecology or soil science
- A scientific record of international standard within central parts of the research area
- A proven record in planning, implementing and managing research projects
- Proven teaching qualifications at university level and experience in supervising BSc, MSc and PhD students
- Ability to implement interdisciplinary research and strengthen national and international cooperation within the research area
- Interest in and ability to give research based advise and policy support within the research area
- Experience in communication of research outputs
- Enthusiastic personality
- Willingness to collaborate with others and to participate actively in teams
Furthermore we are looking for a person who can contribute positively to the working environment and be a role model for young scientists.