Data Reprocessing Engineers (2 Positions)
EUMETSAT - European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
Would you like to apply your Computer Science background to understanding more about changes in global weather and climate? Are you a naturally analytical and innovative person who likes to look at data in different ways?
EUMETSAT is the European operational satellite agency for monitoring weather, climate and the environment, pulling together the resources of 30 Member States. We observe the atmosphere and ocean and land surfaces from Space using a system of satellites, 365 days a year, offering images and data to provide insights into weather situations, environmental hazards and climate change. Our work helps users worldwide to monitor changes in these to protect lives, lifestyles and properties. Developing the next generation of satellites, we look to shape our future.
We have been gathering information from satellites for over 30 years and want to use this data to best effect. As a result, two opportunities have arisen to join the busy Data Processing Systems and Applications Competence Area to provide us with technical support to design and develop new processing systems used for climate activities as well as to reprocess our significant amount of climate data.
Your responsibilities will include defining and managing requirements for climate processing and reprocessing systems, identifying and delivering the evolving needs of users. Leading the engineering and procurement activities, you will be pivotal in the implementation of these systems. You will be involved in testing and roll-out. Additionally you will support operations and management in defining long-term plans to harmonise data processing systems across all EUMETSAT satellite systems.
Alongside a university degree in Computer Science, Software or Systems Engineering (or equivalent) you will need to demonstrate:
- a track record in managing mass/bulk processing and reprocessing systems, with a focus on new ‘Big Data’ paradigms and technologies;
- experience in Data Processing Systems and Applications engineering following well established engineering processes, covering the full development lifecycle and relevant technical standards (ECSS, CCSDS, OGC);
- an understanding and experience in the management of industrial contracts in the area of ground segment engineering;
- an ability to manage complex tasks with minimum supervision, including planning and prioritisation of activities, allocation and coordination of resources, monitoring and reporting;
- good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to apply these to a team environment while working within a matrix structure.
We offer attractive employment conditions, with a competitive salary, comprehensive health and social welfare provision, and extensive relocation assistance, if applicable.
To learn more and apply online, please visit https://onlineapplication.eumetsat.int reference VN 17/36.
The closing date is 10th September 2017 and interviews are provisionally booked for W/C 8th October.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women and is seeking to recruit nationals from its Member States. Please see our website for further details.