Group-Leader Position in Acoustics
Austrian Academy of Sciences
With respect to the OeAW career model, this position is a Junior Group Leader position. It is comparable to an Associate Professor position at a university, however, it has less administrative and commitees duties, and no strict teaching duties.The successful applicant will have much time to focus on research. Note that some link of the candidate to an Austrian university is necessary to be able to supervise students and such a link will probably include some teaching.
Main duties and key responsibilities of the successful application will be:
- Planning the scientific focus of a research group within the multidisciplinary environment of ARI;
- Managing the research group;
- Determining, obtaining, and managing the resource requirements to sustain own research program in the long term;
- Building up the research group to a size comparable to the other groups at ARI;
- Supervising PhD Students;
- Acquiring the formal permission to supervise master and PhD students at an Austrian university ('habilitation');
- Collaborating with at least two other ARI groups;
- Supporting the director of ARI in all organizational issues as part of ARI's steering committee.
Successful applicants must have:
- a PhD (or equivalent degree);
- experience at acquiring project funding;
- a scientific profile that fits well into ARI's established working groups, but is complementary to them;
- a high potential to attract substantial additional funding;
- shown research independence and maturity;
- a competitive promising track-record appropriate to the respective research field and the applicants' career stage, including significant publications.
Applicants will be ranked higher if they:
- have already shown multi-disciplinary approaches, particularly linked to some of ARI's current disciplines;
- have shown experience in leading a research group and being involved in administrative and organizational duties.